About Ninian and Lester
Over 78 years, Ninian & Lester… a proudly South African company.
Ninian & Lester is a vertically operated textile and clothing manufacturing operation, which was founded in 1936. In 1951 it was awarded the South African franchise for the world renowned American Jockey brand and launched their first menswear ranges shortly afterwards. In the mid-1980s, the ladieswear range was introduced and the brand has continued to grow to the point where it is currently the dominant underwear brand in Southern Africa with over 90% of the product and its raw materials still manufactured in South Africa.
In 1965 the company diversified into the production of knitted fabrics with the opening of a textile factory in Pinetown. Our main reason for doing this was to secure our own supply base in respect of raw material for garment manufacture. The textile division grew to be one of the most successful local manufacturers of warp and circular knitted fabric.
- To provide our shareholders with a fair long-term return on their investment in the company.
- To provide our customers with outstanding value, quality, service and delivery.
- To be recognised as and remain a world class, innovative and effective supplier of selected textile and clothing products.
- To link with the community and environment for mutual advancement.
- To enable all employees to develop and fulfill their individual goals and aspirations in a safe working environment.